Telecom Services Information Services home

Surviving Remodeling, Construction and Moves

Are you planning some construction or renovation work in your office or building? If so, please contact the UO Telecommunications Services at (541) 346-NETS to make arrangements to meet with Technicians and System Analysts before your work begins.

Telecommunications coordinates all work on communications projects requiring design, coordination, estimates, and interpretation of standards. Each building and department on campus has a Telecom System Analyst who should be consulted before any work is done that might involve the communications infrastructure.

Telecom System Analysts (TSA) are:

Bobbi Bothel, 346-1023 (Student Housing, Residence Halls and Student Billing)
Lois Schmid Johnson, 346-1017 (General Departments)
Send all E-mails through our help form

You should contact your TSA if you are planning any of the following projects:

  • Remodeling space
  • Changing the function of a space
  • Rearranging office furniture systems within a space (especially modular furniture!!!)
  • Constructing new spaces
  • Occupying temporary construction trailers or spaces

Such projects often involved adding to or modifying the communications pathways from a room to the UO's inter-building communications over which the following types of communications take place:

  • Voice - Phones, fax, Modems, Video Conferencing, Monitoring Systems, Alarms
  • Data - Computers, Printers, Instrumentation (Network Services and Telecommunications both install wiring and use the same facilities, Telecommunications activates the Voice, and Network Services the data side)
  • Video/TV - Cable TV, Broadcast TV

Improper work or work that is not done in compliance with UO specifications may have to be redone, sometimes at considerable expense to you, or may create difficulties for others using the UO's communications system. Unauthorized installations are frequently found to be in violation of safety and installation code standards, and may be removed upon discovery. A service charge will be assessed for equipment removal and reinstallation, as well as for repair to any damaged property.

All relocations or extensions of telephone sets must be coordinated through the Telecommunications Services. Departments may not connect telephone sets/devices to the University telephone system without authorization. Campus phones are owned and supplied by the Telecommunications Services department.

The installation of wire, cable, or jacks for user-owned auxiliary devices such as call sequences, auto-dialers, data sets, and music on hold, must be coordinated through Telecommunications Services. Any cable or wiring installed by a department that is found to be out of compliance with the UO standards will be ordered for correction at the user's expense.

Departmental Relocations

In the event of telephone or other telecommunications service relocations, normal installation charges apply. Installation charges are generally dependent on the type and extent of the service(s) involved, and on the nature of the future facilities.

Current Telecommunications policy states that once a jack is installed, it may be used at the installed location without recurring charge. If you move to a location already wired and jacked, and do not require additional connects, only the minimal connection charge will apply. If facilities are required at your new location, and/or remodeling requires moving to an existing jack which is already in use, normal installation charges will apply.

Moving Checklist:

Network Connections

Network Services can determine if network connections already exist at your new location, or conduct a survey to determine if facilities are adequate for service. Typical network installation currently requires a minimum of two week advance notice as some of the equipment needed may have to be ordered or built. More information can be found at Computing Center Network Services or call at 541-346-4395.

When you know what rooms you will be relocating to, and what your network requirements will be, relay the following information to Network Services via

  • Equipment and services needed (ethernet cards, hubs, etc.)
  • Date of move
  • Current and new locations
  • Department name
  • Account/grant information
  • Equipment to be moved

If you have questions, or need help, please call 346-4395 to make arrangements for Network Services to meet with you and help determine your needs.

Telephone and other telecommunications services

Discuss with your office staff the telecommunications services needed at your new location. To find out what is available, and to help determine the appropriate level of service for your office, contact Telecommunications Services and talk to your Telcom System Analyst.

When you are ready to place an order, relay the following information to the Telecommunications Services by filling out the appropriate forms and either mailing the forms to the Telecommunications Services, or faxing to 541-346-5845. If you are moving to a non-University building or a building which has never had University service, please contact us AS SOON AS POSSIBLE as the building may have to be rewired to UO standards and equipment/wiring may have to be ordered. A minimum of two weeks is requested and if you need special equipment or have other needs, Telecommunications will need further advance time.

  • Equipment and services needed
  • Date of move
  • Current and new locations, including building jack numbers
  • Department/Account name
  • Account/Grant budget information
  • Current telephone numbers

All costs associated with the moving and installation of telecommunications equipment will be billed to the appropriate budget or grant accounts.