Telecom Services Information Services home

REPAIR Information

The repair order process differs for service in residence halls ("dorms") or Family Housing. If you live in University Housing, the repair and troubleshooting information you need is described on:

For trouble or repair calls not related to student housing:

Please report problems to 346-NETS. or open a trouble ticket via email to Telecom

Here are some simple troubleshooting items you may wish to try to fix the problem yourself:

  1. If the set in question is a digital or IP telephone set, make sure you do not change which wall jack (or "plug") the set uses!

    That is, don't unplug the set from the wall and plug it in somewhere else! Damage to the (expensive) phone set or the (very very expensive) phone system can result. Just because the jacks look the same and the plug will fit doesn't mean it's OK to plug something in.
  2. What you can do is push in the connectors on the phone and at the wall to see if they're fully seated. While you're doing that, notice if the little plastic tab that holds the connector locked in place has broken off. Here's a picture of a connector, notice the plastic tab on top - if it's broken off you'll need a new cord.

  3. For analog lines, you can plug in another (known working) analog phone into the same wall cord as the nonworking set, and see if you get dialtone on the working set. If not, chances are the wiring is bad somewhere between the jack and our equipment.

    An analog line would serve sets like these:

    A UO black desk or wall phone:
    A fax machine:
    Customer provided phones:

    If the set looks like it has a lot of buttons, it's a digital or IP set and you don't want to plug another set into that line. Just call in a repair order and we'll debug the problem. Here are some examples of digital sets:


    NO! NO! NO!

If none of the above fixes the problem, please call us at 6-NETS with as much of the following information as you can obtain:

  1. Contact Name (the departmental telephone coordinator who is calling in the repair order)
  2. Contact Phone Number: (phone number for a working phone we can use to call the person calling in the repair)
  3. Extension in need of repair (five-digit UO extension number)
  4. Name of person typically using this extension, if assigned to an individual
  5. Department served by the extension in need of repair
  6. Building and room number for the extension in need of repair.
    (If off-campus, please supply a street address.)
  7. Faceplate and/or Jack number for the extension in need of repair. If you trace the cord from the set back to where it plugs into the wall, that connection (and the plate that covers that cluster of connections) usually have identifying labels. If you can note that information it helps us locate that wiring in the building phone closet.

    A sample faceplate label below shows the faceplate ID (090A) and the jack numbers (089A, 089B, etc.). The format of this labeling varies across campus but the more detail you can capture, the easier it will be for us to quickly find the wiring attached to the extension in question.

  8. Set type (if it's a UO phone) or description of the equipent plugged in to the jack (fax machine, etc)
    If it's a UO phone some typical set types include:

    K2500 analog desk set
    K2554 analog wall set
    8410 digital set
    8434 digital set
    2420 digital set
    4620 IP set
    1608 IP set
    9630 IP set

    Usually you can get the set type from the sticker on the bottom of the phone.

  9. And, last but not least, DESCRIPTION OF TROUBLE. Some suggestions here:

    - no dialtone
    - dialtone works but display is blank (for digital/ip sets)
    - poor line quality
    - phone reboots constantly (IP phones)

Please note: for IP sets such as the 1608 and 9630 models, if the power goes out in your building there's a good possibility that the phones will either reboot and come back to service (if your building has emergency standby power capabilities) OR will go out of service (for buildings with no secondary emergency power capabilities.

If power is out in your building and your IP phones go out of service, analog phone service in your building will still work. Phones on analog service include fax lines, elevator phones, emergency phones, and the "K2500" style phones you see in the table above (the simple black desktop or wall sets). Most fax machines have a handset and keypad you can use as a "regular" phone in a pinch, you can call 6-NETS and report the outage.

You may also use cellular phones to call Telecom services and report the outage. In that event you'll want to call (541) 346-NETS, or if you're calling from the Eugene local calling area, 346-NETS.